Friday, August 9, 2013

James' Favorite Spot...Summer 2013


JAMES' FAVORITE SPOT... Summer 2013

"I wuv summer, Mom... I wuv my cousins...I wuv my birthday...I wuv Dallas...I wuv my "pamily"...I wuv art...Come draw (with) me..." These are words from James this summer.   He had a great time...with a whirlwind of  cousins from the Philippines, aunts, uncles, baby cousins, a Dallas vacation, a week in Branson, a Happy Happy 17th Birthday, and of course...his favorite spot...his art table.  We have a folding table that  stays up most of the summer so James can draw, create, and at the same time watch his favorite shows.  He is a pretty happy camper...He wakes up asking for his chicken and rice (his favorite) and asking where everyone in the family is.  He is love-bug!  This summer, I have been amazed at how his vocabulary and his understanding of what is going on has definitely increased.  There are certain conversations that we just cannot have in front of him anymore.  He has spontaneously started helping to clean up the table after meals, and just seems to have made such gains.  He still can't read very well, but I see him growing in so many areas.   This blesses this Mom's heart...My best story of the summer was on his birthday.  We had several celebrations, but at the family dinner, we had done our big "Surprise" with all the singing, had dinner, and at the close of the meal, he started something I will never forget.  He (on his own) went around the table telling us something good that he liked and loved about every one of us. "Mom...you cute and pretty and make chicken...".  He affirmed each of us very sincerely and then said "Now...you- tell me!"  We have had a special tradition of giving a blessing to our kids when they have a birthday... telling them what we love about them...what we admire about them...how proud we are of them.  Everyone says something affirming to the birthday celebrant.  James took it a step further.  He wanted us to bless him that day... but he started it by blessing us!  This was such a special summer to see James so happy and to  see him growing in so many ways...

1 comment:

HeaDar said...

I absolutely ❤️❤️❤️ this! I can remember in elementary you bringing his chicken and rice for his breakfast. He’s always been such a sweet, kind, and caring kid.